From: Karen K. Brostoski [mailto:maetkare at ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 4:41 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: [TCLUG] SuSE serial/com issue

I'm a newbie, Linux-wise. I've been working on SuSE 6.3 for a while now and
everything is great, it's a little bit of a learning curve, but I am having
'a lot of fun'. I just have one problem. Just one, or maybe you might call
it two...

There is a conflict between my (plain and generic) serial mouse and the
(Supra 56k) PCI modem. I can connect online just fine, but after a few
minutes, the speed stalls. If I jiggle the mouse... it speeds up again. When
I stop jiggling the mouse, it slowly goes down in speed, then stalls...
until I jiggle the mouse. :) Well, I opened a terminal and checked to see if
there is a conflict. I can see on boot that they are sharing an IRQ. I went
into the BIOS and tried switching the IRQs... didn't work. I just switched
them, then I tried using the IRQ10, since it was the only other option. The
mouse didn't even work then. I know I could give more details, but I don't
want to spam and am not sure what might be needed to troubleshoot this. I
remember trying 'setserial' last year for this problem, but it didn't fix
it. However, I don't remember exactly what I typed in, since it's been a
year since I tried that one. I'm not Linux-savvy enough for all this yet.
So...
SuSE 6.3, sharing a computer (P133, 6GB drive) with Win98. No problems with
anything but this modem/mouse issue. Win98 can connect online with no such
conflict, but I'd much rather use Linux! Help/Advice... is welcome!

PS: I moved to Minneapolis several months ago. I was directed to your
mailing list by a nice man I met at Barnes & Noble last night, in the
computer book section. So, if he's reading this: Thanks!

- Karen