here is what i have: a Maxtor 27GB HDD on the Primary
on-board IDE
my cdrom drive as secondary master on the on-board
controller
my cdrw drive as secondary slave on the on-board
controller
the i have another two sub-1GB HDD on the primary
promise controller
and a Zip100 on the secondary Promise controller

in other words:
hda: Maxtor 27GB HDD
hdb: nothing
hdc: CDROM
hdd: CDRW
hde: WD 850MB HDD (i use this for swap)
hdf: Seagate 1GB HDD (i use this for ghost images)
hdg: nothing
hdh: IOmega zip100

the problem is that the kernels that come with
slackware do not recognize the Promise controller...
(and yes i booted directly from the CDROM)

the solution: use a different kernel Image to boot off
of...
how to do that: i already have Mandrake7.2 installed
and the kernel has everything compiled into it, so why
not use this kernel... (the question is how)

as to why i am installing Slackware...simply because
for some reason Mandrake will not compile a new
kernel, even after installing all the C libraries i
could find...

i hope this resolves any confusions that may have come
up...

 -munir

IN-REPLY-TO:
Message: 13