The 3Crap cable modem is 10/half only. Therefore your connection
to a swtich will be 10/half for that "segment". Collisons will
occur between the swtich and cable modem even with just two hosts
just due to the nature of ethernet. Unless you are seeing more than
1-2% of total packest repored as collisons then you most likely
dont have a collision problem.

If you are on a hub then you will see even more. If you have a
hardware problem you pings between you boxes (assuming you have
two or more) will show high latency occasionally (>20ms).

Most "donald becker" drivers can be recompiled  with more debug
info. in your .c code up DEBUG to 3 or 4 and recompile. Usualy
you will get speed/deplux setting info with higer debug info.