How did you upgrade to php4 (rpm, compile as cgi, recompile apache module)?

Though php4 should run most php3 code just fine, you have the option of running either or both as a cgi (not recommended if you have a need for speed). Whichever you run as a cgi will need an 'AddHandler' line and a 'Action' line in 'httpd.conf':

  AddHandler application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
  Action application/x-httpd-php3 /cgi-bin/php3

or:

  AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .php
  Action application/x-httpd-php /cgi-bin/php4

This arrangement has some security implications (see php configuration docs), so be careful.

The easy way: use php4 for everything and fix old php3 scripts if need be. I have had more trouble running things written for php4 under php3 (only used a couple new functions).

Is anyone else waiting for HTML::Mason to shape up (syntax-wise and configuration-wise) so their 'perl-thought' doesn't get messed around after programming in php for a while?

>>> tanner at real-time.com 03/07/01 11:30PM >>>
Upgraded to php4 and added the following:

  AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
  AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

But now my php3 scripts don't run. Any ideas on why?
--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>       | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (952)943-8500