Never used badblocks before, but I ran into a problem last week where I had
bad blocks on a drive on one of my sun machines, but a disk surface check
run several times turned up nothing.  When accessing certain files I would
get an I/O error, and a SCSI error that said trouble reading block
xxxxxxxxxx.  I had to replace the drive to fix the problem.

Jay