There's a How-to for putting Linux on a small hard drive system on
linuxdocs.org, I'd recommend looking into that.  He's using Slack 3.0 I
believe.  I based a Slack 7.1 install on a 400MB desktop machine off of
that, and it works fine.  I'm running the 2.2.16 kernel still, but plan to
update the kernel to 2.4.2 shortly.  Given your system, I'd recommend given
Slack a thought.  With full install, it runs close to 900MB (I'm at 1.27 GB
including StarOffice 5.2, Adabas DB, and a couple of other things).  On the
desktop I got it down to around 250MB without X.  This is all based off the
iso I got from  www.linuxiso.org

Shawn