I have a couple of questions on my laptop.  I'm running Slack 7.1 and am
facing these two issues:

1)  My PCMCIA NIC card is recognized and the module is compiled into the
kernel.  the only way I can get the card to initialize is by doing an
"ifconfig eth0 up" and then to rerun /etc/inetd1 to get an IP address or
network connectivity at all.  I put both of these into the rc.local for
initialization on bootup.  It's a workaround, but I just feel like it's
not *quite* the right way to get it to work.  Where exactly does this
thing get initialized?  Also, on boot up now, the system takes a couple
of minutes to get to the point where it will continue to boot after it
realizes it's not on a network.  Would I be better to take out the two
lines from rc.local and make a script to run them manually for when I'm
on the network?  I'm on the network about 1/2 the time I boot, so would
it be "right" to do this, or is it like going back to my ealier question
of if there's a better way to do it.

2)  I'm running Gnome, with the svga x-server.  Looking in the manual,
my laptop can handle 1024x768 in 256, 65k, and 16.7M colors.  It looks
like I'm running in 256 color, and I'd like to take it up to 16.7M.
There's no refresh rate listed in the manual for my laptop's monitor
(it's an XGA), and it has 2.5MB of video memory.  Can someone give me an
idea of which lines I need to modify to get it to the higher
resolutions?

Thanks.

Shawn