Yaron wrote:

>   Hi,
>
> How 'bout this. I changed my /boot to reiserfs, which killed lilo. At boot
> lilo would go LI and hang. Booting from a rescue CD and trying to rerun
> lilo didn't work - lilo complains that the map file is bad.
>
> Which is weird, I did have it running on one of the previous
> incarnations (this is the 7th reinstall since Friday).
>
> Anyway, switched that back to ext2, rebooted and tried to install X 4.0.2.
> Onto a reiserfs filesystem. I get this:
>
> Extracting Xetc.tgz into a temporary location ...
> == Extracting /mnt/src/X/Xetc.tgz ==
> kernel BUG at inode.c:376!
> invalid operand: 0000
> CPU:    0
> EIP:    0010:[<c018fe09>]
> EFLAGS: 00010282
>
> Fun, huh? Time to apply patches...

I don't suppose you've actually tried figuring out where the kernel is
crashing?  I guess I can't remember the exact procedure, but it involves
looking at those values that come on the screen after a kernel crash.
One time, I had to deal with this -- the function that I found after
everything had something to do with the virtual memory system.
Replacing the RAM made the system more reliable.

Also, is your system overclocked or anything?  Perhaps there are some
strange hardware incompatibilities.  Maybe you can contact your
motherboard manufacturer and see if you're using some combination that
is known to be flaky.  It's also probably a good idea to upgrade the
BIOS(es) on your system.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   The severity of the itch
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   is proportional to the