5 March 2001 1:50 PM

Dave (and others),

Thank you for your replies. They made a lot of sense.

The object would be to link the logical "cdrom" names to hardware
names of the scsi variety,  such as "/dev/sr0" and "dev/sr1".

Problem: when I went to try this out, I first checked my boot-up
"dmesg". This verifed that two drives, respectively termed sr0
and sr1 were found (the latter being the CD-RW drive).

But in the "dev" directory, there were no such listed devices as
"sr0, sr1" or anything close nearest "srnd..." (for random
numbers, I am presuming.)

I do indeed have the scd0..7 devices, major number 11, but that's
not what my kernel is telling me that I have.

Am I supposed to make a node for these devices with "mknod", or
is there possibly something else I am missing? If so, maybe you
can tell me the major / minor numbers of your /dev/sr0 and
/dev/sr1 devices.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and I will look forward anxiously
to hearing more from you or anybody with an answer.

Thanks again,

Bryan

>>> On March 4, Dave Kleist <dkleist at acm.org> wrote:

> Bryan,

> If I remember correctly, your devices changed.  The IDE CD-ROM
> device
> was linked from something like /dev/hdc to /dev/cdrom.  Now
> that you
> emulated them as SCSI, the CDRW device points to /dev/sr0 or
> /dev/scd0
> (on my RH6.2 system, I point to /dev/sr0).  You need to put in
> a link
> from /dev/sr0 (or scd0) to point to /dev/cdrom.  At that point,
> it should work.

> From  http://www.guug.de/~winni/linux/cdr/html/CD-Writing-2.html
> (CD-Writing HOW-TO), section 2.1 Quickstart,  type the >
following commands on one line (sets up a new link to the SCSI
> device)
> cd /dev && rm cdrom && ln -s scd0 cdrom  (I can't remember if I
> had
> problems with permissions here also).

> As I said, I actually use sr0 and sr1 for my drives (not scd0
> and scd1).
> I think you should be able to pick up the correct device name by
> reading the boot messages when you start up your system.

HTH,

    - Dave

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Bryan A. ZImmer wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> After the glow of the Installfest today, I took home some new
> information. Previously I was unable to get my CD/RW drive
working,
> with the "cdrecord" program. I have a RedHat 7.0 system.
>
> The advice I was given was to recompile the kernel _without_
> IDE-CD-ROM support, but with SCSI emulation, and then I should
be able
> to use the "cdrecord" program, as Bob T. was using at the
Installfest
> today.
>
> I recompiled my kernel without IDE CDROM support and with SCSI
emulation
> support. Since nothing was mentioned about whether to leave _in_
> "regular" SCSI CDROM support, I left that part as a module.
>
> The bottom line is, I was able to use the cdrecord program
(although I
> still find it somewhat cryptic), but was unable to mount my
CDROM drives