> So go to ftp.kernel.org and download it and compile it. If you're
> waiting for your distro to rev so you can get a new kernel you might as
> well be using windows. Sorry it's harsh, but it's also my opinion.

The original question I asked is 'what is the difference between
Fisher and Wolverine, or does anyone know when the next release of
RedHat might be?'. Instead you suggest I just compile a new kernel.

Perhaps you can help me with that then (for the record, I have built
the 2.4.0 kernel once on a laptop I was using at a previous job, but
I no longer have access to that).

The computer I was running Linux on has died and will not be replaced
for some time. Right now I have a Dell XPS D300 that has Windows on
it, and I would like to install linux on a separate partition. My
RedHat 7.0 CD will boot, but the install will not take place because
it can not find the hard drive on the ATA100 controller - and that is
the only drive there is.

So... I can go to ftp.kernel.org and download the kernel source as
you suggested. Don't I need a Linux system already up and running to
compile the source code? I can't use Windows to do that can I? So
what do I do with it at this point? Obviously I am missing something.

Let's say I was able to compile a kernel or download the binary. Then
how exactly could I take that kernel by itself and run the install,
or make a boot floppy that I could use to install the rest of the
system with?

> Nearly all the ATA-100 mainstream cards are supported you just need
> to hunt around for info.

I apologise in advance for not having the expertise to figure all of
this out by myself, but I haven't had the opportunity to use Linux
exclusively in my daily work and learn to use it like so many of the
people on this list have. I had hoped to come to the install-fest
this Sat. but I have class from 8-5 and cannot make it.

I have searched newsgroups for answers, the RedHat web site, and the
Promise web site. I do believe Promise manufactured the card I am
using for Maxtor. I did find a 'driver' there, but no information on
what to do with it. As a last resort, I posted a simple question here
that I thought someone could answer.

It seems that when I ask for help on something I get a few useful
replies about 50% of the time (thank-you), and nearly flamed for
either being an idiot or someone that has not 'seen the light' and
abandoned all other operating systems 100% in favor of Linux. I get
the feeling that that is where this one is headed.

Take a peek at the recent thread going on where Nick asked if anyone
was interested in buying his laptop. It has turned into something
where we are now trying to find out who the REAL Linux users are.
Almost like a witch hunt. It kind of amazes me to be honest with you.

Sorry for the rant.

Mike Glaser