Hi,

It seems to me like there are a heck of a lot of messages on this list
about RPM this, apt-get that, Helix-whatever the other. Anyone else here
prefer to download the tarball and build it all from scratch?

I had to upgrade gcc for 2.4.* kernels (I had the one the docs said and it
still didn't build for Athlon!), and I figured, I've built gcc from source
on SunOS (that was fun), Solaris, DEC UNIX, AIX and IRIX - why not Linux?
So I did (:

This is my usual meathod of software update, from kernels to gimp to pine,
whatever. At least on my own personal machines. Anyone else feel the same
way?

-Yaron