Simeon Johnston <simeonuj at eetc.com> writes:

> I am trying to add things to boot at startup and I think that chkconfig
> was the command for that but can't remember what it was.  I looked at
> the man page and can't get to any other information at this time.  I
> have seen it in a lot of other howto's but can't remember where.  I am
> just wondering if I could get a short explenation of the command to add
> things to the boot up procedure at the command prompt?
> I am making a shell script to automate some configuration changes.
> Any help would be appreciated.

This is how it works in Redhat; I'm not familiar with other
distributions, if they have a "chkconfig" that works differently from
this, then IGNORE THIS!

What chkconfig does is manipulate the links from /etc/rc.d/rc[0-6].d/
to /etc/rc.d/init.d/.  In init.d/ are scripts to start and stop many
system services; in rc[0-6].d/ are links to those files, with names
like [SK][0-9][0-9]<name>.  "S" means start, "K" means kill.  The
two-digit number is a sequence number, indicating what order the
operations are performed in.  The <name> is the same as the file name
in init.d/.  The links in rc<n>.d/ control services to be run when
entering runlevel n (this is the same use of "runlevel" as in
inittab).

Chkconfig can work based on comments in the files in init.d/, or you
can just tell it on the command line to set a certain service to run
or not run in a certain runlevel.

You'll still need to ponder the man page as well; this is intended to
give you some vague understanding of the structure within which
chkconfig functions.

Have fun!
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      dd-b at dd-b.net