> I don't mind a learning curve, but unnecessary complexity should be
> avoided. After downloading Ximian Gnome there were missing dependencies
> and altered start scripts all over the directory map. This was supposed
> to be an automatic install.
	yeah, ximian's installer is less than perfect. the one time I used
it, I went for the 'minimal install', then re-ran it to get the fuller
versions, without breaking too many dependencies.

> It took me most of a day to find and repair the problems so I could get a
> useful X back. /etc/rc.config, and /sbin/init.d are not obvious places to
> look. Sure, you're a genius, but normal people want Linux computers, too.
	/etc/rc.config? /sbin/init.d? what distro is this?
	As I understand things; anything ending in .d is a directory full of
config files (something that should *not* be in /sbin; should be in /etc).
	/etc/rc.config sounds like a BSD-ism... OpenBSD uses /etc/rc.conf;
but it's got a very simple init structure compared to Linux (for better or
for worse).
	the fact that the installer broke your system, is more a comment
about the installer, than the naming scheme of the system. :)

>  Linux uses a 1970s file naming
> system but the amount of software has exploded.
	at least it's ahead of DOS, with its 1960's naming scheme. :)

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises