On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 04:10:15PM -0500, David Christian wrote:
> I can't seem to send mail from Linux using mutt and sendmail.  The linux
> machine is on LAN behind behind a Router, and so doesn't have a valid IP
> address or domain name.
>
> Does anyone know how to configure sendmail so that the various MTAs out
> there will believe me about who I am?  Do I somehow need to relay to
> Qwest.net's mail router?

First, back up sendmail.cf (it is probably in /etc or /etc/mail)
In your sendmail.cf file, there are a couple of lines you need to change.

# local info #
##############

Cwlocalhost
#add this
Cwqwest.net

and another line

# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading)
DMqwest.net

vi/emacs/pico will tell you its a read-only file but that should be ok. Save it any way. I do a variation on this (bouncing it off my domain) and it works ok.
The sendmail FAQ is IMHO written by/for sendmails author :)
This little fix will only work for email accounts @qwest.net
Let me know if it works :)