I had a similar problem until I gave the machine a name. I've since moved
on to postfix but that was the fix for sendmail anyway. I assume if I had
spend long enough contemplating the sendmail docs there might have been a
way to convince it to it anyway but the time wasn't worth it. Prior to
getting my own domains I just used the address my ISP assigned to my IP.

Josh