Check out Astaro Linux (http://www.astaro.com) if you haven't already.  Kind
of bloated for a firewall, but has lots of reporting and intrusion detection
capabilities, and kernel 2.4.  The makers of it have a box with 24 ethernet
interfaces (6 4 port intel cards) running.  This would make it an excellent
solution for a company/ISP who needs connections to lots of other company's
networks.  I use Cisco PIX's, and they are limited to 6 interfaces, although
I think the new one (PIX 535) supports more.

Astaro is free for non-commercial use, but they want you to pay for
commercial use.  I don't know how they plan to enforce that though since
it's all GPL software (as far as I can tell).

Jay