On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 06:40:28PM -0500, Mike Hicks wrote:
> Maybe the Debian folks can explain the proper way to use update-rc.d?
> I've tried to use it before, but it never seems to work as advertised.
>
> I've usually tried
>
>   /usr/sbin/update-rc.d inetd remove
>
> ..but it doesn't seem to touch the symlinks in /etc/rc*.d  Is this the
> right syntax for disabling services?

Yes, it's the right syntax, just mismatched assumptions.  If I may quote
from the manpage...

REMOVING SCRIPTS
       When invoked with the remove option,  update-rc.d  removes
       any  links  in  the  /etc/rcrunlevel.d  directories to the
       script  /etc/init.d/name.   The  script  must  have   been
       deleted  already  -  update-rc.d checks for this.  update-
OPTIONS
       -f     Force  removal of symlinks even if /etc/init.d/name
              still exists.

I'm not entirely sure _why_, but, for some reason, update-rc.d assumes
that if you tell it to remove symlinks pointing at a file that still
exists, you don't really mean it.

What you really want for this sort of thing, IMO, is a 'disable'/'enable'
option which just finds the existing links and change the leading S/K to
lowercase (diasble) or uppercase (enable) without changing the sequencing.
If you truly want to remove the service for all time instead of just
temporarily disabling it, `dpkg --purge` or `apt-get remove` seem like
better choices than anything update-rc.d will do by itself.

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.12:  GCS d? s+: a C++ UL++++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+