On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:01:15 -0500
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy at veldy.net> wrote:

> Athlon might crap out on you in 1 week, or 10 minutes.  Overheating
> problem, yada yada yada.  Well, you can just drive down to GNS or TM
> and get it replaced.  Good luck doing that online, and chances are,
> the price you are given is OEM and you only have 30 days on it anyway.

Overheating == user error. Overclocking or not. (No offense)

I'm not trying to debate the particulars here .. but, in my experience -
the only "bad CPU" I've encountered was a PI-100 that was garbage to
begin with, and free-to-me.

My gripe: The cheap mail order shops are never HQ'd in my home town ..

Or, similarily, what's stopping local shops from doing the required
volume (online) to compete?  Simple, money, overhead -- why run a huge
shop that makes a lot of money when low-volume & higher-prices results
in the same bottomline.  Doesn't help me though.

CPU's, motherboards, HD's? By the time *most* of them die, they aren't
worth the price of shipping/gas anyway.  Unless you're ordering bulk for
BigTime, Inc. .. why spend the money?

To each his own, but I'll continue to agressively pennypinch and save
$10 + $24 + $15 == additional component.

Not to drag this out unncessarily, but in comparison shopping -- if one
is truly interested in repair/warranty/support and doesn't mind the
dirty feeling associated with free M$ software, buy a Gateway/Dell/*.

One last note: Aside from hardware guides and hardware pass/fail
websites, does a "I bought this, this was my experience" matrix exist
out there?  Link it up with strongnumbers.com and I'd check it before
purchasing.

-Jay