Gabe Turner <gabe at msi.umn.edu> wrote:

> Well, it's just my opinion, but this sounds like an accident waiting to
> happen.

Yeah

> Why are you going to be running Linux on your Suns?

  * Secure services like ssh
  * Better password hashes like MD5
  * Package management that works
  * Better default syslog configuration
  * Support for serial console faster than 9600bps
  * Solaris emulation (to an extent)
  * Shells and utilities that work
  * Never having to compile fileutils ever again
  * Support for advanced filesystems like GFS, ReiserFS, XFS
  * No /usr/ccs, /usr/ucb, or /usr/xpg4 to confuse people with
  * Some nifty GUIs to choose from
  * It's good for the sanity of users and administrators

> Solaris is much better suited to them.

Solaris might be better suited to the hardware, but Linux is better suited
to the human beings.

If these systems didn't have people logging into them, I'd be a little
less likely to want to move to Linux, but as it stands, I don't want to
force people to use Bourne Shell, for instance -- it's just morally wrong
;-)

Anyway, I guess it's a subjective opinion.  I'll have to run some
benchmarks sometime and see how Linux stacks up..

> Concerning the failing over: How are you planning on accomplishing that?

It'd be a largely manual deal (I suppose `hot spare' might be a better
term, but I'm not sure).  I don't need anything that can automagically do
it instantly.  That'd be nice, but I'm just looking for a way to keep
operating minimally while one of the servers is worked on.  Remounting and
killing processes is an annoyance, but it's not going to make the sky fall
in..

It is a good point, though, and something I still have to think about..
Of course, it'd probably be just as big of a problem whether I was doing
Linux or Solaris.  Ideally, I'd like both ends to be running Linux and
GFS, though I was considering looking into any other similar solutions
available cross-platform..

> BTW: If you _do_ figure out how to get your NFS clients to "fail over"
> to a new server, I'd _love_ to know how you did it.  I'm facing a
> similar problem at the moment.

Well, the only way I know how to do anything like that is to specify
multiple systems to mount from with an automounter daemon.  I'm not sure,
off the top of my head, if they can handle a server disappearing after a
filesystem has been mounted, or if they only handle that stuff at
mount-time..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   A closed mouth gathers no