> Well, at least with most mail order outfits you could get an RMA # and return
> something if you needed to.
>
> I recently went to Tran to purchase some RAM for a new system I am piecing
> together. It was a pleasant enough experience I guess, the owner was
> friendly. I don't think I care for the refund/exchange policy though.
>
> I told him I was looking for a pair of the 256MB PC133 Micron DIMMS they
> advertise on their web site. Well they didn't have those, but this other brand
> XXX is better for sure!  Well, I don't know... ok I guess. I wouldn't know if they
> were or not.
>
> Anyhow, the point is this: I told him exactly what motherboard I planned to put
> them in - an Abit KT7A-RAID - which they sell and their site says that they
> have in stock, and I asked him if there would be any problems. He said he
> didn't know, but it should be OK. I had an several Micron part numbers from
> the Crucial web site that were guaranteed to work with this board, but Tran
> wasn't selling Micron when I was there (last week).
>
> He told me if they didn't work, I was S.O.L. They would only take an
> exchange in the case of physically defective RAM. No money back, and no
> credit for other merchandise. If the RAM was incompatible with my board that
> was my problem.
>
> Since they sell that motherboard I asked again if he knew if the combo would
> work figuring they must have set up many systems based on that mobo. and
> he said he couldn't say for sure. He tried talking me into buying some other
> board and getting DDR RAM since DIMMS would be obsolete soon. Ahhh,
> OK, but no thanks.
>
> Anyhow, I bought the DIMMS and hope they work when I get the mobo
> elsewhere. If their price was close, I would have been happy to support the
> local shop, but the difference was $54, and the tax vs. shipping costs almost
> cancelled each other out.

Although I've never known him to be so "sleazy" a salesman as that, maybe
you just look a lot more gulible than I do ;)

Anyway, he said you're SOL if they don't work, but you still bought them?!
I think that's insane.  You could have walked two blocks down the street
and bought Micron DIMMS from GNS.  They were cheaper (when I bought one
last week) anyway.  Once he tells you the return policy, and it sucks as
much as your being SOL if the memory doesn't work in your board, you've
taken things into your own hands.

Gabe

Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu