I'm finally in a position to buy a new system (from scratch, not
just upgrading parts of my old system).

I have seen low prices from mainstream vendors (Dell, Gateway, HP, IBM)
in the papers and Sunday supplements.  I haven't priced local outlets
lately (General Nanosystems, Tran Micro, etc.).

I'm looking to spend between $800 - $1200.  Ideally I would like something
that runs Windows and Linux and both OSes can use all the hardware.

It's for home use, but I'd like something with at least 256MB of memory;
20GB to 60GB of disk; DVD and CD-RW; some reasonable kind of sound card;
ethernet; pretty good video card.  Oh, yeah.  A 1GHz processor.

Where would you (anybody) recommend getting a system like this.  (It could
come with Windows preinstalled; I've installed Linux on my own PCs before.)

David S. Cargo (cargods at network.com)