On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 02:48:40PM -0500, spencer underground wrote:

> > 2. look at the biggest chip on the board and do internet searches with
> > substrings of the chip code. Chances are, you will find a DOS program for
> > setting up the IO and IRQ
>
> Do I really want to use a dos utility? This is of coarse related to the
> thread of linux and kids software, because the win machine is only for my
> kids. So the only reason I am trying to deal with monkeysoft if for kids
> games.

It's not that you like it or not: if the manufacturer provided [only] a dos
configuration utility and you want to configure the darn board... what gives?

> > 2.1 alternatively try to insmod ne2k specifying ports between 0x280 and
> > 0x360
> I think I was using variations of IO=  I/O= i/o i/o=  and with ranges of
> 0x300 and irq's like 2 9 and 5. I was getting frustrated so maybe I just need
> to use the correct syntax and thats that. I have a feeling that it is an
> obvious problem that I am overlooking.

Don't bother with the IRQ. once you get hte I/O straight, it will automagically
get the IRQ.

> > 3. run pnpdump from isapnp package and see what it discovers. then enable
> > PNP and ISAPNP in kernel (if you use 2.4)
>
> I did install the isapnp package but have yet to use it.
> If it was only a sound card I could work on it from work. Now you guys are
> contributing to me skipping work to go home and get this nic up.
> Thanks;  really.

Run pnpdump and look at the output...

florin

--

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4