On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 02:11:17PM -0500, spencer underground wrote:
> On Monday 25 June 2001 10:49 am, you wrote:
> > modprobe ne io=0xYYY irq=XX
>
> I have tried this option with serveral times to no avail. Maybe my syntax was
> incorrect.
>
> > PCI NE2000 card however, you want ne2k-pci, and should not need to give io
>
> The card is an ISA type that porports to be plug n play. I have a few of them
> I took out of various machines. Oddly enough I am having trouble getting the
> same card to work in win98se as well. I do not want to beleive that I have
> three identical problem nic's. I suppose I should just invest my $15 in a
> realtek 8139. But what about all the future NE2000 nics I will run across?

ISA NE2000 can mean a lot of things... I have NE2Ks with jumpers, with soft
programming and PNP.

1. if you have any jumpers on the board, read all the board maybe you find
a table with the jumpers

2. look at the biggest chip on the board and do internet searches with
substrings of the chip code. Chances are, you will find a DOS program for
setting up the IO and IRQ
2.1 alternatively try to insmod ne2k specifying ports between 0x280 and 0x360

3. run pnpdump from isapnp package and see what it discovers. then enable PNP
and ISAPNP in kernel (if you use 2.4)

florin

--

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4