On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:38:38 -0500 (CDT)
"Phil Mendelsohn" <mend0070 at tc.umn.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Simeon Johnston wrote:
>
> > That sounds kinda cool.
> > I've always wanted to dip my MB in some kind of liquid rubber and
water
> > proof it.
>
> Well, if you ::really:: know where your water is coming from, absolutely
> 100% pure H_2O is an excellent dielectric and you could dip your mobo in
> it without the rubber coating.

Err, water is a pretty good oxidizer, especially as the temperature
elevates... and too good of a solvent to be immersing electronic
components in it. Also, don't forget that traces of flux and
who-knows-what are likely to disolve and corrupt your 'pure' H20 in very
short order. Liquid nitrogen is used, as it is chemically free of
oxygen... You could also look into ethylene glycol, or so I am told; it
seems kind enough to copper radiators in cars.

Distilled or not, I think you would find it's effect on component life to
be seriously detrimental. It must be Friday.

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-