Hello all,

My boss and I have come to the conclusion that Linux has greatly outpaced
Solaris as an operating system and operating environment, especially in
terms of usability.  We're really interested in getting Linux going on our
UltraSparc systems.  This isn't a huge installation, just four systems
(though one of those is an Oracle server and will probably stay Solaris).
Still, I've sent out some queries to our software vendors, requesting
Linux/Sparc versions.  All of them now have at least Linux/Intel software,
and some have versions for Linux/PPC and Linux/Alpha.  Hopefully, it'll be
something easy for them to do, though I'd like to make a request...

These are the products we use, and the companies I've contacted..

Product		Company
-------		-------
Gauss		Aptech
Mathematica	Wolfram
Matlab		MathWorks
SAS		SAS Institute
Stata		Stata Corp.

If any of you folks use those apps, and have been considering migrating to
Linux/Sparc, please let me know (probably off-list, unless you also have
something interesting to say to the group) or let the company know, or
both.

Basically, I don't want to be just the one guy that's asking for it ;-)

Also, does anyone know of software for Linux for administrating Sun A1000
arrays?  At minimum, I'd like to know of some decent logging software, so
if a drive failed or was failing, we could reboot to Solaris to run their
software..

<sidenote>
I'm at a really weird crossroads at the moment.  I've worked at the
Carlson School of Management at the U for about a year, administrating
Solaris and Linux systems.  I finally got a WinNT 4 machine yesterday (up
til then, I'd been using a P166 Linux box for my workstation), and I just
went to my first (and quite possibly last) Solaris users meeting on campus
today where I discovered Solaris 8 had amazing new features such as DHCP
support and the ability to install via HTTP...
</sidenote>

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   The bigger the theory the