I've used squirrelmail as a webmail imap client.  There are a bunch out
there.  Worldpilot (which is a zope product, development has slowed to a
crawl and it's really not ready for production use).  There are a coupls
of other zope based webmail clients in the works.  There's aeromail and
it's derivatives, and TWIG is another good one.  A google search for any
of those should turn up something.  I don't remember whether or not any of
these webmail clients will let people sign up for their own accounts (it
would likely depend on more than just what webmail client you're using).

If I remember correctly, the inter7.com folks were pretty tied to qmail,
which may or may not pose a problem, and I may be misremembering.

Jeff