> 35,000/year to teach our children is definitely way under paid!

I daresay that you mean that it is way under paid for YOU.  You would not do
it for $35000/year.  Actually, that is $35000/180days ~ $50000/year on a 40
hour 52 week schedule.  A teacher is free to pick up extra employment for
the 12 weeks in the summer.

Many people thrive on working with children and that is exactly why they
became a teacher.  Others simply like to teach.  Everyone has their own
reason to become a teacher (or not to become a teacher).  However, with the
occupation comes the exposure to children, that does not demand extra
compensation.  That is like saying that carpenter should be paid extra
because of their exposure to wood (and thus the inevitable slivers).  The
compensation comes from the direct return of their work, which had better be
my childs education.  If the negatives about teaching outway the positives
for you, don't become a teacher.  Not everyone values things the same.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy at veldy.net