Phil Mendelsohn wrote:

> On or about 20 Jun 2001, Simeon Johnston is alleged to have said:
> > "Troy.A Johnson" wrote:
> >
> > > Cool! Thanks Bill, this is interesting stuff. I was planning on making
> this
> > > machine into a play thing for my son (17 months, but _loves_ to bang on
> > > the keyboard and move the mouse). I may consider using an old x86
> machine
> > > for this task instead...
> >
> > Try out Babysmash.  It locks the machine until a special key command is
> used.
> >  It
> > displays random objects on the screen in various colors.  Pretty cool.
> The
> > key
> > command would be very hard to press acidentally.
> > Works on all MacOS's as far as I know.  Been a while since I've used it
> > though.
>
> I just hacked together a little ncurses program that displays a big letter
> on the screen.  It would have been easier to do by just running an xterm
> with a montrous font, but Dad was a little bored when he started coding. :)
>
> My 3 year old always asks to "type the letters" and has been for almost a
> year now; we're not worried about reading, since the correlation between
> what he types and what he says has been high since he was about 15-18 mos.
>
> It's funny how when Mom and Dad spend a lot of time on the phone or looking
> at the "infernal screen" how it's mirrored by the little ones!

<rant>
IMHO, I think one of the weaker point os Llinux is not its viability as
a desktop ala MS Office, but its lack of childrens games. My 4 year old
daughter would be running Linux right now if there were more pre-school
age games for the system.
I realize that, product placement and marketing being what they are, my
daughter will probably always pick Beauty and the Beast over Tux but in
the long run, she will learn a lot more using Linux. If I knew anything
about game developement, I am sure I would try to write a game or two...
</rant>