On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:49:13 -0500 (CDT)
"Brian" <lxy at cloudnet.com> wrote:

> Here at work we often have to scrap old non-booting systems.  I'd really
> like a nice 12 volt power supply at my desk but I don't want to have to
> attach a mobo to it.  Is there any way to get the power supply to run on
> its own?

You don't want to run an AT style supply without a load, as I am told that
they are unable to properly regualte when unloaded, and output voltages
can climb high enough to kill the supply. This is what I am told, I do not
have first-hand experience - but I do have colleagues who have blown
supplies by powering up with no load.

The fix is simple, just add some fixed load value at each output, enough
to keep the supply in regulation... Like perhaps a 50 Ohm, 10W resistor on
the 12 V supplies, and a 25 Ohm, 5W resistor on the 5V supplies. These
values should pull 200-250mA per supply. Seems like it should be fine to
me... maybe even a magnitude less current is acceptable, like 20-25mA.

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-