On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 08:58:43AM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> Tell apt you want some other MTA and it's quite happy to remove exim
> for you.

When I unselected exim with the purpose to select sendmail it showed me that
nice "dependency resolver" screen full of all kinds of necessary packages.

Being my first debian install that kinda scared me.

> The bigger question, though, is why you hate exim so much.  It works well,
> without qmail's unusual licensing (yes, I know some people think the qmail
> license is better than GPL/BSD, but that's a completely different holy
> war) or the legendary horrors of sendmail's configuration.  I set exim
> up by default on my first debian install, got it right the first time,
> and have been able to easily update it as things have changed since then.
> I have yet to encounter a problem with it, although I'll admit that I
> haven't run any mail servers with over... 68 users.
>
> (No, I'm not trying to start a flamewar or be an MTA evangelist.  If you
> just prefer another flavor, that's fine, but if exim has any serious
> problems, I want to know about them.)

Oh, sorry... I don't have any hard feelings about exim at all and I don't want
to convince anybody that sendmail is the best thing since uucp :)

I just happen to know a little sendmail and not know anything about exim.
I tried some time ago to use exim instead of sendmail because I wasnt' able
to figure out sendmail envelope masquerading... I wasn't able to figure out
exim eigther and then I found a sendmail.mc so...

florin

--

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4