On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 07:31:22AM -0500, Florin Iucha wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 02:33:40AM -0500, Yaron wrote:
> > Second, I'm not really opposed to having an MTA. It doesn't need to be
> > running or anything for mail to be sendable. I'm opposed to having Exim on
> > my box, because I know nothing about it. If it was qmail, or even
> > sendmail, I'd be fine with it.
>
> Debian/Woody tried to shove exim down my throat too, but I saw that and
> replaced it with sendmail during the installation.

Shove it down your throat?

---
# apt-get install sendmail
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  gawk libdb3 libldap2 libsasl7
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  exim
  gawk libdb3 libldap2 libsasl7 sendmail
0 packages upgraded, 5 newly installed, 1 to remove and 254 not upgraded.
Need to get 2112kB of archives. After unpacking 4506kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
---

Tell apt you want some other MTA and it's quite happy to remove exim
for you.

The bigger question, though, is why you hate exim so much.  It works well,
without qmail's unusual licensing (yes, I know some people think the qmail
license is better than GPL/BSD, but that's a completely different holy
war) or the legendary horrors of sendmail's configuration.  I set exim
up by default on my first debian install, got it right the first time,
and have been able to easily update it as things have changed since then.
I have yet to encounter a problem with it, although I'll admit that I
haven't run any mail servers with over... 68 users.

(No, I'm not trying to start a flamewar or be an MTA evangelist.  If you
just prefer another flavor, that's fine, but if exim has any serious
problems, I want to know about them.)

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.12:  GCS d? s+: a C++ UL++++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+