On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 10:28:52PM -0500, Yaron wrote:
>   Hey,
>
> Ok, what happened was this. Apparently when I apt-get remove'd exim,
> debian in it's infinite wisdom decided I don't need lilo, because, if you
> don't want to run SMTP on your machine you DEFINETLY don't need to BOOT or
> anything.

That's really strange.  I think I figured out why apt did that,
though.  Lilo depends on logrotate (to rotate its logs), which
depends on mailx (to send mail about rotations jobs), which depends
on a mail transport agent (to deliver mail). So its a pain,
but it looks like you need to have an MTA installed.  Its seems like
logrotate should only recommend mailx, since it wouldn't break
logrotates core functionality if it couldn't send messages.

> It all works now! (: AND I've reinstalled LILO (and exim... grrr. I've
> dpkg'd it out but it seems to reappear...)

Well, you should be able to install any MTA you want to fill
the MTA dependency.  So you should be able to apt-get install sendmail
(or smail, or whatever).  Apt will then remove exim because
you can only have one MTA installed at a time.

--
Jim Crumley                  |
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |