On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 07:47:33PM -0500, Ben Lutgens wrote:
> Someone take a look at
> http://www.enthdimension.com.au/software/fm/index.dsh and explain to me
> how it can be licensed the way it is. Does this not seem wrong to you? I
> am by no means a GPL zealot, but I am curious how they can code
> something using GPL, and lGPL libs and then have a definitely closed
> license.

What Scott said.  If they're using LGPL libraries, that only imposes the
restriction that they make it possible to replace the library with another
version of it, either by linking dynamically to the library or providing
compiled object code and instructions (such as a makefile) for linking that
object code against the LGPLed library.  After all, LGPL was created
specifically to help people create Free libraries that could be used in
non-Free applications.

OTOH, if they're statically linking to libs that are under the full GPL, then
there's a problem.  (If they link dynamically to a GPLed .so, that's not a
real clear-cut case under GPL v2, but I'm inclined to say that it would
probably be technically permissible, despite violating the likely intent of
the library's creator.  But IANAL, IANRMS, etc.)

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.12:  GCS d? s+: a C++ UL++++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+