> Do _NOT_ extract the kernel in /usr/src/linux. That place is for the
> distribution-managed sources and includes. There have been a few threads
> on LKML and Linus's opinion is that /usr/src/linux is not good.
>
> Extract it into /usr/local/src/linux instead.

With modern distros (Red Hat and Debian for sure) it is not an issue. From
memory the argument was that /usr/src/linux contained the headers that
glibc was compiled agnist. You'll now find those headers under
/usr/include/linux. Debian kernel-sourcew package extract to /usr/src, and
nothing breaks. In the end its more of a security thing. With the sources
in /usr/src, everyone can see them, and perhaps modify. And you don't need
to compile the kernel as root, and unless you setup your group permissions
properly you have to do so with kernel source in /usr/src.

I personally don't see anything wrong with compiling stuff in /usr/src. I
add myself to the src group and off I go. I feel this argument is dated,
and since EVERYONE puts the source there anyway it's the expected course
of action.

Not that going with the flock is a good thing, but I'm definitly not
running tward any cliffs so I feel OK about it. :)

Andrew S. Zbikowski       | Home: 763.591.0977
http://www.ringworld.org  | PCS:  612.306.6055
They must not get baseball sized hail in Redmond.
If they did they would have realized HailStorm is
a bad name for their new services.