On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Joshua Jore wrote:

> On that note I recall hearing from our engineers (I work at a megaco that
> makes floppies) that the stray electrical trickle or so on a R/W head can
> and does attract dust and may pose issues to the data it is in immediate
> contact with.

So, in essence, the whole idea of the floppy was flawed? :-)

If it's important, I don't use floppies anymore.  They're too small to
hold anything, and they're so unreliable.  I've resorted to using floppies
only for booting legacy hardware AKA those without bootable CDROM
support.  In the original instance of this thread a floppy makes sense
because it's an easy way to go.  If you get your distro past the size of a
floppy, use a 20 or 40 MB hard drive.  If you don't have one, ask the geek
closest to you if they're willing to trade one of theirs for beer.

-Brian