Dear tclug folks,

Hi!  My name is Jason, and I just moved to Minneapolis from San
Francisco last week!  I'm "getting settled" and part of that is updating
my computer system.  I wanted to ask if any of you might have some
advice or input on the best way of going about it, because it's a little
complicated.  I would like to install both Red Hat Linux 7.1 and Windoze
98, while also installing a new hard drive.

Here's what I have NOW:
128 MB RAM
One 3 gig hard drive (in first IDE slot)
Red Hat Linux 6.0 (updated to 2.2.16 kernel)
Windoze 98
using LILO to boot.

Here's what I want to DO:
128 MB RAM
One 3 gig hard drive (in second IDE slot)
One 30 gig hard drive (in first IDE slot)
Red Hat Linux 7.1, give the partition about 2/3 of my HD space
Windoze 98, give the partition about 1/3 of my HD space
Use LILO to boot

The old 3 gig HD can stay almost the same, but I'd like to use it for
storage only (don't want any operating systems (ie the kernel) on
here...so I think I'll have to do something, but I'm not sure what.)

What would be the best way of accomplishing this goal?  Here's one
proposal, but by all means shoot it down if it won't work or if there's
a more efficient way.  The big QUESTION I have is in step 5:

1.  Remove the 3gigHD from the primary IDE slot, and put it in the
secondary IDE slot.
2.  Put the 30gigHD in the primary IDE slot.  Note: I think the CD ROM
is attached to the primary IDE slot via the HD, so I'll keep this
configuration the same.
3.  turn on the computer.
4.  Go straight to BIOS, and make the hardware changes, and make booting
from CDROM.  Put in the RH Linux installation disk into the CDROM.
Restart computer.  The RHLinux installation program pops up on the
monitor.  I do a "Custom Installation".

5.  I will make the appropriate partitions (128 MBswap, 16MB /boot, and
variable size /root...and also partition for Windoze) on the 30gigHD.
QUESTION: Should I leave the 3gigHD "as is?"  I'm afraid of having two
linux kernels, one on each HD.  I can't just wipe out my 3gig HD because
I need the data.  What do I do here?  I see two possible choices, but
don't know how to execute either:  1) Have a kernel on each HD, but make
the computer only use the new one which is on the 30gigHD. --or-- 2)
Delete the old kernel (and any other "operating system" stuff, but
nothing else) on the 3gig HD.  Any thoughts on what to do?

Once I have this accomplished, I think I should be home free.  Please
let me know the best way to go about this.  And thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Jason Hataye