--- Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu> wrote:
> You don't have anything else using IRQ4, do you?  COM1 and COM3 (sort
> of)
> share IRQ4 and COM2 and COM3 share IRQ3.
   Nope. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. The mouse is hooked up to the PS/2 port,
which I think is IRQ12, IIRC. The board has two serial ports, COM1 and
COM2, although nothing is attached to them. Could the mere existance of the
second serial port be the problem?

> Even if you don't have anything on that
> COM
> port, disable it in the BIOS, just to make sure nothing is causing a
> conflict.
   There's another weird thing--I have not found any way to disable COM
ports in the BIOS. I have been through every option at least five times.
There is an option to set various IRQ ports, including 3 and 4, to either
PnP PCI/ISA or Legacy ISA, but fiddling with that has not helped matters.

> Additionally, make sure that your BIOS sees that it should not assign
> IRQ4
> to any PCI devices.  I know a lot of systems like to try and assign
> those
> low IRQs to devices, even though they may already be in use.
   As far as I can tell, IRQ3 should be clear...but then again, it's a
little hard to tell since I haven't found a way to disable the COM ports in
BIOS.

> If kppp still gives you trouble, it's always a good idea to try out
> minicom.
   I really don't think it's a problem with kppp, since Win98 has the same
problem.
   Well, I have already spent several hours on this already. Maybe tomorrow
will be a better day...
   :Peter