Bill Layer wrote:
> Err, and usb-uhci *isn't* the VIA driver?!? It says so in 'menuconfig', &
> it seems to work fine with my controller... Just to confirm, it is the
> driver I am currently using. So, what exactly is the diff between the uhci
> and usb-uhci (seeing as they are BOTH usb drivers)? What is JE?

There are two UHCI USB host controller drivers: usb-uhci.o and uhci.o.  They
both do the same thing, use on or the other.  With some hardware, drivers, or
situations one works better than the other, you just have to try them both
out.  (The host controller handles the computer's side of the USB bus;
the individual USB device drivers depend on the host controller driver to
do the work of managing all communication on the USB bus.  There are also
different hardward standards, UHCI and OHCI, so there is also one OHCI driver
and these two UHCI drivers.)

There has been long discussion about just using one, but there are still
situations where one is better than the other, so there is always someone
who objects to getting rid of either one.  JE stands for Johannes Erdfelt
the author/maintainer of the uhci.o driver; this one has also been called
the alternate uhci driver.  It was actually first, then usb-uhci.o was a
rewrite from scratch, but Johannes offered to maintain the original.

I have been out of the USB stuff for a while now; it sounds like the usb-uhci
driver is sometimes called the VIA driver, perhaps because it works better
with VIA chipsets???  Sorry I am not up to date on this.

-- Al