Quoting Mike Bresnahan (mike at fruitioninc.com):
> You got jswat to work for you?  I gave up on it and switched to Forte.  When
> I finally got to a point I could step through my Swing app, it jumped from
> line to line seamingly randomly.  Did you do anything special?

I am doing remote debugging. If that matters.

bigdevel is my development machine at the office
borca is my puny p75 at home :-P

Because borca is so slow, I do all my development on bigdevel and just display
stuff back to punydesktop thru a ssh tunnel.

So, on bigdevel, I start my java application I want to debug like this (I split
the lines our for readability):

${JAVA} \
        -classic \
        -cp "${APPCLASSPATH}" \
        -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE \
        -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n \
        com.realtime.application.main \
        "./conf/servlet/servlet.conf"

Of course replace ${JAVA} with your favorite jvm. I personally recommend
IBMJava2-SDK-1.3-8.0, the url is the rpm of jswat
(http://www.sf.net/projects/rte).

Now, I tried running jswat on bigdevel, display it back to borca, but 128K ISDN
link makes this way to slow, so I installed jswat on punydesktop.

Run jswat, if you got the rpm, it will be:

% /usr/bin/jswat

It will kick up a gui window.

In the command window, do this:

sourcepath /home/tanner/java/src

Use your appropriate sourcepath, if you want to debug the jdk libs, include them
as well like this:

sourcepath /home/tanner/java/src:/opt/IBMJava2-13/src

Then attach to the remote vm (your application you started above). In the
command window type:

attach bigdevel:<port>

The <port> will be given to you when you run your application. You should see
something like this:

Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 1911

That's it. It totally rocks.
--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>       | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (952)943-8500