[Disclaimer: I haven't done a lot (any really) Java programming recently. So
take any suggestions in that light.]

Have you tried IBM's Visual Age for Java? I suspect its like Forte slow.

As far as IDE editor/compilers I tried jikes a while back and it seemed to
work. I don't know if/what debugging facility provides. I think its listed on
freshmeat. If not try C|net's download.com.

Jack