Someone mentioned earlier that one option is to do USB <--> serial. I'm
interested in any reports of success with these devices. I'm thinking in
particular of using it for a GPS unit, since all of those I know of still
use serial, but my vaio laptop requires a klunky port replicator to do
serial.

I suspect you need 2.4 kernel, right?

Anecdote:  I tried a USB <--> SCSI adapter for a Scanner, and got it to
"work", but it was all messed up with timings or something, and would
output inconsistent junk (e.g., separated RGB colors, messed up image,
etc.).

Andy