Hi,

I can tell you for a fact that your IDE-SCSI emulation is not working..
read your dmesg and I'm sure that you will see that your CD-RW is being
enumerated as a simple /dev/hd? (IDE) device, not a SCSI device.

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 08:37:52 -0400 (EDT)
"Dan Drake" <drake at lemongecko.myip.org> wrote:

>   BTW, I have the following (relevant) modules loaded:
>
> isofs                  18064   0 (autoclean)
> sd_mod                 10016   0 (unused)
> sg                     20960   0 (unused)
> sr_mod                 12768   0 (unused)
> ide-scsi                7712   0
> ide-cd                 26016   0
> cdrom                  27008   0 [sr_mod ide-cd]
> scsi_mod               51264   4 [sd_mod sg sr_mod ide-scsi]

I"m not aware that IDE-SCSI emulation works properly when loaded as a
module. In all of my CD burning applications, I have both IDE-SCSI
emulation and SCSI Generic support built into the kernel. A kernel boot
parameter is added to the /etc/lilo.conf which tells the ide-cdrom driver
to ignore the cdrom drive, so that the IDE-SCSI emulation can pick it up &
enumerate it as a SCSI device. This boot parameter can also me entered
manually at the LILO boot: prompt, but there is really no sense in doing
this. IDE-SCSI emulation works perfectly, and I have both of my cdrom
drives running as SCSI 100% of the time, just to make things more
consistent. Please rebuilt your kernel with 'Y' to SCSI Generic and 'Y' to
IDE-SCSI emulation, add the appropriate lies to your /etc/lilo.conf, and I
think your problems will be solved,

The read-only cdrom drive is /dev/hdc and the CD-RW drive is /dev/hdd.
Here is a snip from my /etc/lilo.config file that shows the form of the
boot parameters:

# Production kernel configuration begins
image = /vmlinuz
root = /dev/hde2
label = Linux
append = "hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi" #SCSI emulation support.
read-only
# Production kernel configuration ends

And here is a snip from my dmesg, where you can see the CD drives being
enumerated as SCSI devices:

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: E-IDE     Model: CD-ROM 36X/AKU    Rev: U21I
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: YAMAHA    Model: CRW2100E          Rev: 1.0K
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/36x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

Finally, here is the output of my cdrecord -scanbus:

bash-2.04$ cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.17
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
        0,0,0     0) 'E-IDE   ' 'CD-ROM 36X/AKU  ' 'U21I' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) 'YAMAHA  ' 'CRW2100E        ' '1.0K' Removable CD-ROM
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
bash-2.04$

Until you see these kind of boot messages, cdrecord -scanbus will always
come up empty-handed, and burning CD-RW will be impossible. I hope this
helps.

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-