Hmmm ok. First off let me mention the machine with snort+Guardian is at a
different ISP so you would have to know where I'm connecting from to get
my mail. I'd be fascinated if that sort of thing is possible without
cracking the box the shell account is from. I'll just assume that the
shell machine keeps some sort of record of where I come from.

And actually, over an evening's sleep I've decided to not both with snort
since I expect the firewalling software+ruleset is pretty darn good. There
is a portsentry daemon taking requests on ftp,telnet,portmap, and
netbios-*. It just watches for connect()s and creates routing rules to
dump those folks off into lo1.

I guess I just figure that snort+something will just take up cpu time that
is better spent webserving. (mind you, I expose
ssh,sftp,http,https,smtp&submission). I guess I figure that there are
probably plenty of other hosts which are plenty more appealing. My one
real vunerability would probably be from a cgi program but I'm pretty darn
sure there's no simple way to crack that (it's a voter
registration+political campaign info db) since I wrote it myself and made
sure to protect it.

Am I just being overly naiive or is this reasonable? I'm very new to
internet security so what I know is gleaned from going through the
recommended reading lists.

Josh

___SIG___