Dave Sherohman wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 09:59:49PM -0500, HOEFFNER at dcmir.med.umn.edu wrote:
> > >Put the public key on your computer at home and set up some automatic
> > >logins.
> > >No password involved.  Oddly enough it's more secure than passwords.
> > >Much easier than telnet and very secure.
> >
> > Is this really true??? Best practice?
> >
> > Seems too good to be true. I've gotten that piece to work, but have shied away
> > from it cuz it seemed the password challenge would be better. Guess I'm not all
> > that sure why I thought that, though.

If you trust the computer yes it is.  I have to use a Mac at work that is sitting
right out in the open and must be available for others to work on.
I don't use keys on this computer.  Too easy to get to and steal the keys.
Although with a passphrase that would also be secure.

> There is one caveat:  You must generate keys with (good) passphrases.  If you
> leave the passphrase blank, then I tend to agree with you that it's insecure,
> since access to the key-holding account would give free reign over all
> accounts that recognize that key (and ~/.ssh/known_hosts would make finding
> those accounts pretty easy).  With a good passphrase, though, the key itself
> is locked up quite nicely also.  Just remember not to walk away while logged
> in without locking your terminal first.  But you do that anyway, right?

That's the point.  No restrictions on access.  I use this on my laptop.  No one uses
this and it isn't hooked up to the net.  I would use a passphrase but It's already
acceptably secure for what I use it for.
If your at all suspicious of your computer security than use passphrases or stick
with password authentication.
Either is more secure then telnet.

sim