7.1 is good enough (or I haven't been compelled to upgrade past it). the
-current branch is ok to work with, just consider that with slackware
there is no easy upgrade path so maybe it is less optimal to be in a
between state. Of course, the first thing I do on installing slack is
upgrade all sorts of stuff like binutils, other kernel related stuff.

As for ftp... it's not in the gold distro. Perhaps someone has hacked the
installer to do that but you'd have to get it separately.

Of course, Debian has felt slackish to me and has the uber-nifty apt
utility. Disclosure requires me to say that I've since switched back to
slack 7.1 and openbsd (which has a nice distro upgrade tool).

Josh

___SIG___