On 4 Jun 2001, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> But after the upgrade, I see I have an "ipchains" rpm installed, but
> no iptables.  And when I run /sbin/ipchains, it tells me it's not
> compatible with this kernel (7.1 is a 2.4 kernel, I was previously
> running a 2.2).  Now, I see the iptables rpm, and I could install
> that, but what the heck kind of an "upgrade" process is this anyway?

Sounds like you only upgraded the packages you had installed to the
versions in 7.1, or missed some important packages along the way. Your
ipchains problem is a 2.2 to 2.4 issue. ipchains was replaced with
netfilter in 2.4 (iptables.) ipchains and the older ipfwadm are still
available, but only as modules. So before using ipchains, you have to
modprobe ipchains. Add it to your firewall script (or ipchains init
script) and you should be set.

| Andrew S. Zbikowski       | Home: 763.591.0977 |
| http://www.ringworld.org  | Work: 763.428.9119 |
| http://www.itouthouse.com | PCS:  612.306.6055 |
|   Sinclair: "No boom?" Garibaldi: "No boom."   |
|     Ivanova: "No boom today. Boom tomorrow.    |
|             Always a boom tomorrow."           |