On Sat, 2 Jun 2001 Bob Tanner wrote:
> Ok, what does Bastille Linux really do?
>
> I understand it hardens linux. But what does it actually do? The FAQ and README
> do not say anything about that.

Mandrake 8 includes some Bastille stuff.  Chapter 13 of the users guide
talks a little bit about Bastille, but doesn't include too much detail,
as the chapter mostly covers the bastille GUI configuration tools:

  http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fdoc.php3

The Mandrake 8 CDs include the following Bastille related RPMs:

  Bastille-1.2.0.rc3-0.1mdk.noarch.rpm
  Bastille-Chooser-1.2.0.rc3-0.1mdk.noarch.rpm
  Bastille-Curses-module-1.2.0.rc3-0.1mdk.noarch.rpm
  Bastille-Tk-module-1.2.0.rc3-0.1mdk.noarch.rpm

Also required:

  perl-Curses-1.05-2mdk.i586.rpm
  perl-Tk-800.022-5mdk.i586.rpm

The BastilleChooser and InteractiveBastille tools look pretty decent.
However, as I haven't yet tried them out myself, that's about all I can
really say...

Joel

---
Member of the GNU/X/Apache/Perl/Samba/OpenSSH/Linux generation.