Hi

I think this discussion is really dancing around the point, though a previous
post did really touch on the fact that MS in ingrained. The question is: "Why?".

At the bank I contract for, we just had a problem last week which eventually
turned out to be winders went flaky because a user disk went full. They
couldn't reboot until Friday, so all kinds of data were late because of the
problems the flaky server caused. This cost them (trust me on this one). In the
post mortem that followed once we knew what was going on, I was asked "What can
we do to prevent this, and don't tell me Linux?". The point here is he KNEW
Linux would be better, but no one there in his right mind would espouse such a
point of view.

The people who make the real decisions (aka control the bucks) don't have any
real knowledge about computers. So, what do they know. They see some dork with
glasses making all kinds of absurd claims about how great his crap is, and they
buy it. It works "well enough" (I saw that somewhere). Linux is an "unknown"
and they have a system that "works". If it works, don't fix it. I don't believe
there's anyone here who doesn't believe in that.

You can talk all you want about how to answer objection A or objection B, and
we all know that most of the answers are there and the rest probably could be
had somehow, but until you get "mind share" of the people making the decisions,
you're just blowing hot air at a brick wall. Putting Linux on the file server
seems, to me, to be the way to make the inroads. Reliability is Goliaths'
weakness.

Ed Hoeffner
1-271 BSBE
312 Church St. SE