* Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com> [010531 22:02]:
> Am I such a zelot, that I can't see the truth through the blinding light I
> believe eminates from Tux?

"(notice I don't say free, because to get good functionality out of
Linux, you need to buy a distribution, not download one)"

Well, if you notice the guy is a complete moron. :)

" How would they create the PDF's they need to create?"

ps2pdf "filename.ps"

"How would their graphics team be able to make high-quality marketing
graphics?"

Gimp.  But real people use Illustrator *not* Photoshop.

" Lastly, what about the fate of the 16-bit legacy applications, which
are critical to their productivity? Those, too, are gone."

Good, take the opportunity to rewrite them all into Java so your not stuck
ball-and-chain to a vendor again.

"Linux. The past few years have brought new innovations such as SANE"

Oh yes, because the innovations such as better installers, a new kernel,
gnome 1.4, and the work on mozilla and abiword mean nothing.

This guy is hurling FUD.  Worse, he works for the govt.  Even worse, he
doesn't actually follow linux, he makes his point as an "enthusist"
*not* a working linux professional.

Plus, the person has not a presence in the community as far as I can
see.  This non-presence brings -0- creditability to many of these
arguments.

In another tangent on govt use:
http://www.tc.faa.gov/act-500/nasacb/airmm/test_bed.htm

Whowa :)

--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org> <sdier at debian.org>
http://www.ringworld.org/  #linuxos at irc.openprojects.net

Sinclair: "No boom?" Garibaldi: "No boom."
Ivanova: "No boom today. Boom tomorrow.
          Always a boom tomorrow."