"Jacqueline Urick" <jacque at fruitioninc.com> wrote:

> I guess I'd agree with alot of these points that Mr. Reynauld makes. I
> don't think he's bad-mouthing Linux. He's pointing out what is really
> keeping it from becoming mainstream.

I can only really see one issue in the article: the need to train users to
understand Linux.  And, as Ben pointed out, people who have never used
computers can learn Linux just as well as anything else.  The big problem
is where people expect Linux to behave like Windows.

If you've ever been in a Novell or networked Windows environment, the
multi-user concept isn't too hard to grasp.  If you know how to do
CTRL-ALT-DEL and select a process to kill, `ps' and `kill' won't be too
hard to learn.  If you've used DOS or command-line ftp, the bash command
line isn't hard to comprehend either.  Granted, I don't feel there's a
good filemanager for Linux yet, but hopefully that will get fixed soon
(and, of course, personal preferences vary quite a bit, so maybe people
will like something that's already working).

The remaining problems can be solved with VMWare or some other
virtualization layer.  It's inelegant, I know, but a great many
organizations are already doing essentially the same thing on their
Macintosh systems.

--